Let’s have a Idea about the basic Cisco switch configurations. Once your device is ready with a running IOS, you need to do some basic configurations on your device to make it up and working in your network. Here I have listed few basic configuration parameters that your device need to be configured with once ready.
- Device Hostnames (If stacked, hostname will consider stack wise)
- Banner Text
- Enable Secret Password
Execution Timeout period:
No Of Vlans:
VLANs List with respective Names:
- Device Management:
Management IPs (Device Wise/Stack Wise):
Inbound Management Required?: Yes/No
- Subnets along with VLAN (If required).
- SVI IPs (If required).
- Default Gateway / Next Hop IP for default routing.
- Access & Trunk Port Details
- Port wise Configuration: (If any)
- EtherChannel Ports (Logical & Physical) (If any).
- VTP: (If Any)
Password (If any):
- Syslog (If any):
- SNMP (If any):
Few things are here considered as per the suggestions by Cisco. That’s why few things are left behind. Because the more enhanced configurations can mitigate the use of some lower secure or less featured configurations.